Friday, January 26, 2007

New Superhero

Okay, I wasn't really happy with my previous superhero post for IF, so I tweaked it. I recently read a speech by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn in which he quoted the great Dostoevsky. "Beauty will save the world." True beauty is unstoppable. Solzhenitsyn goes on to say something marvelous. "...a work of art bears within itself its own verification...those works of art which have scooped up the truth and presented it to us as a living force, they take hold of us, compel us, and nobody ever, not even in ages to come, will appear to refute them." This is the soul of art. The nitty-gritty. I am always trying to live up to this standard (I usually fail, but a girl can dream). If we dreamers keep on trying and falling flat on our faces, eventually a few of us will achieve in our work the "living force" Solzhenitsyn speaks of. A beautiful thought, wrapped in truth!

No comments: